11.09.10    If Goldilocks were a knitter...

This week a fabulous new pattern collection , "Coastal Knits" by Hannah Fettig and Alana Dankos was released for pre-order.  I love many of these designs and was delighted that two of my favorite designs in the book would be available as an immediately download when you pre-ordered.  Let the swatching begin...

Rocky Coast by H. Fettig
Top left - Lima, Fisherman's wool, Greenland
This cardigan, "Rocky Coast", calls for a pretty pricey yarn and I have been trying hard to knit from my stash.  I have a good size stash of sweater quantities to choose from, so it should not be an issue.   You would think...



First I chose - Rowan Lima...gauge was off (too small) and it didn't show the cables well.  This needs a smooth yarn.

Next came - LB Fisherman's Wool - gauge is right, but on 10.5s this will have a very stretched look (too large)  Think I need an aran weight- something smooth and thicker

Last try - Cascade Greenland.  Thick, ropey and dense, it is the right gauge and did not look stretched out. (just right)  But the color is wrong and well...this thing will weigh a ton.

Sigh....what to do? I scored from Ultra Alpaca in Redwood mix color this weekend from Dizzy Deal - might try it in that yarn when it arrive.  Might be too dark.



In the meantime...
#8 of 45 - Finished.
Tweed Watch Cap
Super cute as a cloche.  Might add a large button.  This is knit in Classic Elite Portland Tweed and is very soft.  I blocked it as a cloche instead of a hat by pulling out the brim.









Stolen Moments shawl
#9 of 45 - Frogged.  Pattern is nice but I have never liked this yarn.  An impulse buy while traveling, it just is icky.  This is my third attempt at a project and just need to give up.  FROG........  Yarn up for sale or swapping.

Pattern is free and some day I will knit this.

No comments:

Post a Comment